Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Lasagna!
You won’t know this is dairy-free, I promise! It’s creamy and delicious, and has way less saturated fat than if made with milk and cream. I love pretty much any dish made with butternut squash. It’s such a creamy and yet sweet vegetable that God created for us to enjoy. When looking for a perfect fall dish, this is a absolutely perfect!
2 medium-sized butternut squash or 3 cans of butternut squash puree
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of nutmeg
4 cups of coconut and/or almond Milk
1 – 1 1/2 pound of ground turkey meat
1 tbs of fresh sage or 1 tsp of dried sage
1tbs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp of dried thyme
2 tbs of Nutritional Yeast
2 tbs of Tapioca Flour or All-Purpose Flour
Oven-Bake Lasagna Noodles
1 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper
1 – 1 1/2 tbsp grapeseed or coconut oil
1 package of vegan mozzarella-style cheese shreds
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt and drizzle on coconut oil. Lay on a greased pan with foil liner and bake for 45 minutes. After they cool a little, scoop out and put in your blender. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and one cup of almond or coconut milk. *If you want to skip this step then just take 3 cans of butternut squash puree, and add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and coconut to it. Then, blend in blender until very smooth. You might need to add a little bit more coconut or almond milk to make it more smooth and less clumpy. Put aside in a large bowl or glass measuring pitcher.
- Brown ground turkey meat and one diced onion in the skillet with the 1/2 tsp of salt, the sage, and the thyme. Set browned meat aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Béchamel sauce: Put three cups of coconut or almond milk in the blender and 2 tbs of nutritional yeast and blend well. Sit aside. Add grapeseed oil or coconut oil to a medium sized pot and adding two diced onions or one large onion to the pot. Cook so transparent. Add tapioca flour to onions, and stir well. Add blended coconut milk and nutritional yeast, and salt to taste. Let this bubble for a few minutes in the pot on medium-low. Be careful to stir it so it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Then, turn off burner.
- Assemble the lasagna now! Grease the bottom of your glass rectangular dish. Take a soup ladle and spoon about half of the Béchamel sauce on the bottom. Lay down probably 3 – 4 noodles on it. Pour about half of the butternut squash mixture on it top of noodles. Put half of the ground turkey on top of that. Put 3 – 4 noodles on. Put the rest of Béchamel sauce on top of noodles. Put more butternut squash mixture and ground turkey, and then top with about half of the shredded vegan mozzarella cheese. You can honestly layer any way you want. This way worked for me.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake in oven for 45 minutes on 350 degrees. Take out and remove foil. Turn oven up to broil. Add the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top. Put back in oven for 3 – 5 minutes to make the mozzarella bubble and brown a bit.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before eating.
Recipe by Cynthia Lowa
I never measure exact measurements for herbs and salt and pepper. Feel free to just play it by ear and salt and season to taste!